R-AHEC is a non-profit organization headquartered in Warsaw, New York. Our mission is “to improve health and healthcare through education.” Counties in our catchment include Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Steuben, Wayne, Wyoming, and Yates.
- We work to achieve our mission by focusing on:
- Pipeline Programming for Youth: Health career education and career path development for youth in grades 9-12. Activities include classroom presentations, field trips, shadowing experiences with local healthcare providers, all designed to encourage youth to consider health careers and encourage diversity.
- Preceptor Development/Student Housing: Eligible medical and other health profession students are offered support to encourage clinical rotations through short-term housing and/or housing scholarships.
- Health Workforce Development: Through various initiatives, the current healthcare workforce is offered a variety of on-going skills training, career ladder development, and professional skills development programs. Projects have continually changing components and are designed to build and retain a skilled healthcare workforce.
- Rural Healthcare Technology Infrastructure Development: R-AHEC is the administrator of the Western New York Rural Broadband Healthcare Network (WNY RBHN). The WNY RBHN is a consortium of partners in rural, urban, and medically underserved areas of Western New York and surrounding regions, which focuses on increasing the utilization of Health Information Technology (HIT) among public and non-profit health care providers-making it easier for health care providers to connect with each other, access online educational programs and expand their telemedicine initiatives.